When Valentine’s Day comes around, everyone looks for unique activities to do with a significant other, and love riddles are one way to turn a typical date into one that’s a little bit different.
How Love Riddles Work
Almost everyone has heard of a riddle, but not everyone knows that riddles can be very romantic, depending on how you structure the question and pose the answer. In fact, you can use a riddle to do things like ask someone special out on a date, tell someone how much you love them, or even ask your girlfriend or boyfriend to marry you.
Coming up With Your Own Riddle
Picture sitting across from your date, with the candle flare glowing between you, and a mood of light-hearted discussion and laughter. When the mood is light, the perfect way to take advantage of the tone of the conversation, and let your date know how you feel, is to rattle off a creative riddle about love. Not only does it introduce the concept of "love" into the conversation in a non-threatening way, but it also lets your date know that you really are capable of thinking abstractly – and not just about football and beer!
Below are a few ideas for a creative love riddle to make your date chuckle and break the ice. The answer to all of these is "Love":
- "What is invisible and makes people suffer from symptoms like sweating and nausea, yet people can’t survive without it?"
- "What makes grown men cry, but humanity would go extinct without it?"
- "What causes a sudden increase in heart rate, a loss of memory and overall brain function, but is not a drug?"
- "What four letter word is the cause of most of the discord in the world, as well as most of the cooperation?"
Some Examples of Love Riddles from the Internet
If you aren’t feeling very confident about coming up with good riddles yourself, there are plenty of websites out there that can help you either come up with ideas, or you can take the riddles there and use them during your date. Go ahead and pretend you made them up yourself…your date will never know!
- Riddles.com – conducting a search at Riddles.com for "love" returns 50 results, with riddles of all types that have to do with love.
- OnlyRiddles.com – searching onlyriddles.com for "love" returns only 8 results, but they are good riddles, like this riddle titled "In Love."
- BasicJokes – Everyone knows that the line between riddle and joke is very thin. You could easily convert the jokes about love at BasicJokes.com into excellent riddles about love.
- Romantic Ideas Ebook – Free Ebooks are always a good source for ideas, and this is no exception. This Ebook provides "101 Romantic Ideas," including romantic riddles, puzzles, and clues.
Whether you’re interested in impressing your date with your creative flair and brilliant use of metaphor – using a love riddle on your date has the potential to do that. When a riddle is difficult enough to make a person think hard, yet easy enough to solve, the resulting "aha!" moment can be very magical. And when you’re on a date, there’s nothing more important than creating a little bit of magic.
Whether you want a whole collection of love riddles for use in your classroom on Valentine’s Day, or if you are looking for one or two very powerful riddles to use on an important upcoming date, the resources above will help you find the perfect one. However, sometimes the best riddles can come from your own mind, when you close your eyes and think carefully about the abstract and complicated nature of love. When you consider the feelings, emotions, and sometimes even the pain that love can create in a person’s life, the fact that so many people are still hungry for love is a riddle in itself.
By Ryan Dube